French fries and French toast – why wouldn’t we combine them? They both have “French” in them, right? Well, both dishes falsely have the “French” attribution, neither one is particularly French if you research the history, which a lot of people seem to do. I found that people are more likely to google why a food has a certain name than laws, the body or clothing. It’s all about food, good is love, so really it is all about love! Anywho, what I really wanted to tell you was that I made French Toast Fries for breakfast and it was a huge success. The kids loved it and even the hubby, after I got tired of cutting toast strips and asked him, if I could just make regular sized french toast for him, he declined and insisted on the sticks 🙂
A cute twist to a breakfast staple French Toast Fries
- 6 slices of white sandwich bread
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup strawberries
- 2 tbsp. cane sugar
- Mix all ingredients for the strawberry sauce in a blender and keep cool until ready to serve.
- Whisk eggs lightly with a fork, add milk, vanilla and brown sugar.
- Cut edges of the bread and cut french frie sized strips. Soak strips in the egg mixture and with your fingers gently wipe off excess liquid before frying the sticks over medium-low heat in a non-stick pan.
- Brown the french toast sticks from all four sides. Leave enough space between them in the pan so flipping is still possible.
- Serve with strawberry sauce or syrup!
If you are not a sweet morning person and prefer savory for breakfast, you could contemplate making cheese fries instead. Actually, I am already contemplating it…some grated Mexican cheese on top, a bit of sour cream and some chives…oh darn it, I should really eat before I write these recipe posts 😉
Have a great Monday!