After about 2 week into the conversion to a plant based diet, I finally made a meal that was 100% plant-based or vegan. This warm spelt salad was filling, tasty and nutritious…I had to have a cake pop for desert to balance out all the healthiness 😉
- 1 and 1/2 cups of spelt kernels
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- fresh parsley chopped
- fresh basil cut into stripes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cups of dried cherries
- 1/2 cup of walnuts coarsely chopped
1. Add water and spelt to a pot and bring to boil. Once it’s reached the boiling point, turn to medium low heat, add the tsp. of salt and let simmer for 40 minutes until the kernels are chewy.
2. In a small pan heat the olive oil, add the onions and heat them until glassy. Add the garlic, salt and pepper to taste and roast for another minute or so. Add red wine vinegar, stir together and set aside.
3. Drain spelt in a sieve and let cool in the bowl you will be making your salad in.
4. Once the kernerls are not nuclear hot anymore add the oil onion dressing and toss.
5. Add cherries, nuts, basil and parsley.
Can be served warm or cold!