I copied this recipe from my mom’s hand written cookbook, it’s a family staple and THE cake to make with rhubarb. You can use this recipe to make cupcakes as well. Tangy squishy rhubarb meets crisp and sweet meringue on a soft cake bed and they totally make out!! 😉
To make this recipe you need to get a scale as most measurements are by weight.
A fresh cake with a crunchy meringue top and a tart rhubarb filling
- 175g butter (unsalted)
- 150g sugar
- 1 packet vanilla sugar or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 packet baking powder (1 tsp.)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 250g flour
- 3-4 (actual) tablespoons of milk
- 750g of fresh rhubarb (cleaned and cut into pieces)
- 3 egg whites
- 175g sugar
- toasted nuts (optional)
- Cream butter, sugar, vanilla sugar and salt together until fluffy. Add egg yolks.
- Mix in Flour and baking powder. Add the milk until you have a very think (almost cookie dough like) batter.
- Line a 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper and spread the dough in there, you can use your hands to press down and spread around. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F
- Beat egg whites on low until they start to get foamy. Then bit by bit pour in the sugar and turn to high and beat until you have a glossy and some what stiff mass.
- Gently fold rhubarb pieces in and then spread the mixture on top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the tops are starting to brown. If you decide to use a round spring pan, you can but need to adjust the baking time to be longer (in this case cover the top after 40 minutes and keep baking).
Enjoy with a cup of coffee on a sunny spring day!