I have made this salad probably once a week this summer. It is everything I want and like rolled in one bowl, well tossed rather than rolled, but you get the idea. It is quickly made, makes a great mid week meal or pot luck bring along for a summer barbeque.
A perfect Italian Summer Salad
- 1/2 french baguette (cubed)
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 8 cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 5 large olives (sliced)
- 2 green onions
- 1 ball Buffalo mozzarella
- 2 cups arugula (roughly 2 handfuls)
- 1/3 cup roughly grated Parmesan cheese
- 10 basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. vincotto or a different sweetened balsamico
- 1 tsp. good honey
- 2 tbsp. finely grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Turn on the oven to 200C/390F. Brush a cookie sheet with olive oil, place cubed baguette bits in one layer on the baking sheet and brush the tops with the remaining oil. Toast in the oven for about 15 minutes, keeping an eye on it, until they are golden brown.
- Cube, cut and slice all salad ingredients and toss together in a large bowl.
- Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing until you have a smooth vinaigrette.
- Toss the salad with the dressing. Then add the bread croutons and toss again.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes for the dressing to soften the bread just slightly.
Your “what’s for dinner” question has been answered! Oh, if you don’t have French baguette for this Italian salad you can toast any crusty white bread like ciabatta, focaccia or a sourdough baguette instead. It can even be leftover bread from the day before. Summer time is about being lazy and making things in a simple fashion!