Since we’ve given up meat during the week, I’m always trying to find new ways to serve the veggies on and with. Breads, lentils, beans, crepes and today the galette. A galette is a crisp pizza meets crepe type dish and anything that is bakes in the oven in one dish, gets my vote!
I used the basic galette dough recipe from Smitten Kitchen and came up with a different filling that met my freezer and fridge contents 🙂
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, chilled in the freezer for 30 minutes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- a couple drops of lemon juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 250g of frozen spinach (thawed and very well drained/squeezed)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 crumbled feta cheese
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tsp. of water
1. Measure the flour, mix with salt and place it in the freezer (in a ziplock bag), chop the butter into small cubes and place back into the fridge. Chop, cut and grate the other ingredients.
2. In a small pan stir the shallots with the olive oil and bring to heat, once slightly translucent add the garlic, simmer for a few minutes. Set aside.
3. In a food processor, mix the chilled flour and butter until a slightly coarse mix results.
4. Mix the wet ingredients in a bowl, then add the flour mixture and knead into a dough.
The original recipe suggests to chill the dough for an hour, but since I only had 30 minutes till dinner time, I skipped this step and still turned out GREAT!
5. Roll out a ca. 12 inch circle. Place on parchment paper lined cookie or pizza sheet.
6. Add toppings, starting with onion oil mix, then the spinach, then feta and topped of with grated parmesan cheese. Leave a 1 1/2 inch rim on the edge.
7. Fold over edges and brush with glaze mix.
8. Bake for 35 minutes in the 400F/200C hot oven.
Enjoy with some red wine!
This was my piece – a minute before it vanished…