An extra special breakfast treat for a special occasion or just to spoil yourself and others (that’s what I did). I adapted the recipe from joythebaker.com This is a “prepare the day before sort of breakfast” otherwise you will be very hungry by the time this baby is done (2-3h)
- 2¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons flour (345g)
- ¼ cup sugar (50g)
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter (ca. 60 g)
- ⅓ cup milk (70ml)
- ¼ cup water (60ml)
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar (200g)
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon (2.5g)
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted (ca. 60g)
1. For the dough whisk together 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small bowl whisk the eggs with a fork.
2. In a small pot melt butter and milk. Remove from heat, add water and vanilla. Let sit for a few minutes. Then add the liquid to the flour mixture and mix with a spatula.
3. Add eggs and keep stirring it all together until it all comes together (this might take a bit). Add the remaining ¾ cups flour and blend it in with a spatula (or your hands) for about 2 min until you have a very sticky mixture.
4. Place dough ball into a large greased bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let rest and rise for about 1 hour in a warm place (should double in size).
5. While the dough does it’s thing, whisk together the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg for the filling. In a seperate bowl melt butter.
6. Grease and flour a 9x5x3 loaf pan (Kastenform).
7. Deflate risen dough and knead in about 2 tbsp. of flour, back into the bowl, cover and let rest for 5 min.
8. On a floured surface roll out the dough with your rolling pin, roll it as large as it will go into a rectangular shape.
9. Spread melted butter on the dough (I used my hands 😉 ), sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mix on top.
10. Cut the dough lengthwise into strips and stack on top of each other, then cut into 6 equal pieces.
11. Like a book place your slices into the loaf pan, cover it, find a warm place and let it rise again for 40 minutes. (instead you can also put it in the fridge now and let it rise again in the morning)
12. Preheat the oven to 350ºF (176ºC) and bake on the middle rack for about 40 minutes, you want a nice dark golden brown to ensure the center is cooked. Remove from oven an let rest for 20 minutes.